There always seems to be snow laying thick on the ground (or blowing all around) when we decide to dust off our annual travel tips & Unaccompanied Minor blog. While specific airline policies regarding summer travel in the Covid era are still up in the air (Couldn’t resist the pun.), we can confidently share some of the most important points for you to consider when preparing to book flights – especially for students flying as an unaccompanied minor (or as an “Unaccompanied Minor”*).
*A Note on Terminology: A sixteen year old flying on her own is, of course, an unaccompanied minor – but unless she has paid the airline for their service, she is not an Unaccompanied Minor. This capitalized term refers to the airline’s service that allows parents and/or Apogee staff to escort the student to her gate for departure, and meet her at the gate on arrival. There is a fee for the service and there are always restrictions that vary from airline to airline. Without the Unaccompanied Minor service, the student is recognized as an adult and not subject to additional traveling restrictions. Most airlines will require Apogee’s younger students (between 11 and 14) to use their Unaccompanied Minor service. Older students (between 15 and 18) will usually have the option to use the service or not.
- Find flights that fall within the specific time window for your child’s trip. You can find this information on the Travel Information document on your CampMinder portal (login here) under the “Forms and Documents” section once your child has been enrolled. Please check with the office if you are having trouble finding a flight that arrives or departs in this window.
- Call the airline to confirm their Unaccompanied Minor policy prior to making a reservation. The policies are often not clear or entirely up-to-date online and there may be exceptions or differences in the policy depending on the arrival and departure location. Additionally, some airlines require you to make reservations for Unaccompanied Minors over the phone.
- Ask the airline about necessary documentation for Unaccompanied Minors. You may be required to give the name of the Apogee employee who will pick up/or drop off your child. If so please contact our office for details at 207-725-7025.
- Lastly, don’t forget to put up your tray table and keep your seat back in the upright position – safe and happy travels, and we’ll see you on trip start day. Bon voyage!
Unaccompanied Minor Reference Guide
Cost: Unaccompanied Minor (UM) services usually range from $50-$150 each way, depending on the airline.
Routes: The vast majority of airlines will not allow Unaccompanied Minors to transfer to or from other airlines. Additionally, most allow Unaccompanied Minors to travel only on nonstop or direct flights. Some exceptions exist, particularly American and Delta Airlines.
Specifics by Airline*:
*Guidelines only! Because the airlines can change their policies at any time without notice, we strongly recommend that you check in directly with your airline for their current policy. The information below was reviewed on February 2, 2021.
- United: Ages 5-14 must use UM service. Ages 15-17 and traveling alone have the option to request UM service. Nonstop flights only. $150 each way.
- American: Ages 8-14 must use UM service and includes both nonstop and connecting flights through major American hubs. Ages 15-17 have the option to request UM service. $150 each way.
- Delta: Ages 8-14 must use UM service and “may travel on some nonstop and connecting flights”. Ages 15-17 have the option to request UM service. $150 each way.
- JetBlue: Ages 5-13 must use UM service. Nonstop flights only. $150 each way. Ages 14 and over “are entitled to assistance from JetBlue staff if needed” and should contact JetBlue for more details.
- Southwest: Ages 5-11 must use UM service. Nonstop or direct flights only. $50 each way. No UM service internationally.
- Air Canada: Ages 8-11 must use UM service. Ages 12-17 have the option to request UM service. Nonstop flights only. $100 each way.
- Alaska Airlines: Ages 8-12 must use UM. Ages 13-17 have the option to request UM service. Unless no other option is available, no connections to the last flight of the day, or layovers of more than 2 hours. $50 for direct flights each way & $75 for connecting flights each way.
Always feel free to call or email us with questions! 207.725.7025 or firstname.lastname@example.org.