A great introduction to bicycle touring along an iconic New England coastline, Cape Cod & the Islands has it all. Bicycle along paths and back roads through beautiful Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, and Cape Cod. Explore island villages and sandy beaches, take a surf lesson with professional instructors, and tour the city of Boston by foot. Carrying personal and group gear in panniers (saddlebags), you will become competent cyclists and adventurers while learning to operate as a self-sufficient team. This summer bike tour is always a hit; join us and see why!
Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket
Traveling by ferry, we journey to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket for endless island fun. Both islands are crisscrossed with user-friendly bike paths that allow us to ride with ease from place to place. There will be plenty of time off the bikes to explore seaside villages like Edgartown, Oak Bluffs & Siasconset. Spectacular sandy beaches abound, and we’ll enjoy long afternoons playing in the sun and surf. We’ll also spend the better part of a fulfilling day as volunteers at a local community farm.
Cape Cod & Boston
On the mainland, we’ll ride the Cape Cod Rail Trail and scenic back roads between Hyannis and Provincetown. Along the way, we’ll stop near Wellfleet and have the opportunity to catch some waves with professional surf instructors. Exhilarating for spectators and participants alike! After basking in the best of Cape Cod, we’ll transfer to Boston where we’ll spend two nights and a day exploring the sights. We’ll enjoy a festive farewell dinner at a local restaurant and celebrate our accomplishments with laughter and stories of our fantastic 12-day adventure.
Please see our General FAQ page for many more frequently asked questions and answers!
How physically challenging is CI?
Given a Challenge Level 2 (out of a maximum of 10), we consider CI to be a beginner cycling trip that any moderately fit, motivated student can complete with some prior preparation. We believe that CI is a great trip for students interested in trying cycle touring for the first time. It is easier than our Vermont to Montreal trip, which is one step up in challenge level. On CI, the daily mileage spans anywhere between 8 and 20 miles, averaging approximately 15 miles a day. There is also the opportunity for a “Challenge Day” in the middle of the trip that could be up to approximately 30 miles. Please note that all of Apogee’s Challenge Levels are not scientific and are subjectively calculated by the Apogee staff.
My child is new to cycle touring and has never ridden with loaded panniers. Can my child participate without previous experience?
Absolutely. Apogee’s trips are designed around the concept of “achievable challenge” – anyone who has a desire to challenge themselves and possesses a basic to moderate level of physical fitness is already well-prepared. Upon your child’s enrollment, we will send you a suggested training schedule. Training beforehand (especially with panniers and weight) will directly contribute to good risk management and your child’s physical comfort.
Does my child need to bring his or her own bike for this trip?
No – we offer rental bikes (as well as panniers) for an additional fee. In 2017, the cost of a hybrid rental bicycle for the 12-day trip is $180. Waterproof rental panniers are available for $50. If your child already has a bike that is appropriate for this trip, they are welcome to bring it. Please call our office with any questions regarding the suitability of your child’s bike for this trip.
Aside from the trip cost, what are the additional expenses for this trip?
Apogee’s tuition costs are meant to be all-inclusive and include all meal, accommodation, and activity fees. The most significant additional expenses on our Cape Cod & the Islands trip will include travel to and from the Boston area, a sleeping bag and sleeping pad, a bike helmet, and a bike and panniers (rentals are available, see above).
How much of the riding on the CI trip is on bike paths?
Roughly 75% of the riding on our Cape Cod & the Islands trip will be on dedicated bike paths while the remaining 25% of the riding is on quieter back roads and/or roads with bike lanes.
What does the community service portion of this trip entail?
Service projects vary from year to year, but most CI groups will volunteer with a non-profit educational farm on Martha’s Vineyard. Our groups help with a variety of tasks on the farm, including harvesting, weeding, and composting – with plenty of opportunities to say hello to the animals, too! Your child can expect 3-6 hours of community service.